West Middle School
West Middle School was constructed in 1930, with a portion dating back to 1894. Until the commencement of this project, this preK-8 school had never received an overall renovation. All building systems were at the end of their functional lifecycles, and the facility needed energy conservation and handicapped accessibility measures.
Originally a complex of three historic buildings, the school comprised the 1894 Annex, the 1909 Gymnasium and the 1930 Main Building.
Exterior renovations were extensive and required several construction types and details. The project fully restored the cupola on the Georgian 1930-building, including custom-turned replications of missing elements. The 1894 Romanesque Annex required extensive brownstone restoration, and the 1909 Victorian gymnasium building required excavation of a lower-level floor slab with related foundation underpinning to accommodate a new cafeteria.
All interiors were completely renovated with new mechanical systems, windows, finishes and furniture.
The renovated school accommodates 750 PreK-8th grade children. The school was designed to achieve Connecticut High Performance Building Standards.
Cost: $46.5 million